Sunday, June 9, 2013

You think YOUR grocery bill is high?!

Check out these prices:

 

 
 
 

 
 



 



The green peppers were $5.50.

 

 
 

 
 



 
The pop is $2.95 and I think Gatorade was $4.59.

 

 



I’m not sure what a 3 lb. bag of apples is anywhere else, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t get a deal here.



 

  I think the Northern Store is a chain that has stores in many remote Canadian communities and it is well known for its outrageous prices. I’m thankful that there is a store with Kraft Dinner that I can pick up quickly, but when KD costs $4.59 for a box, it is no longer a cheap meal. I’m not sure about the ins and outs of how this store works, but there is definitely controversy. The teachers at Chief Zzeh Gittlit  School order in their groceries from Superstore. There is a small fee (about $30) for someone to do their shopping for them and then there is a shipping fee of course (via plane), but it is still cheaper than buying from the Northern Store and you can get more items that you prefer. The store also houses a TD Bank and Canada Post. It is your one stop shop- literally- there are no other shops.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's crazy! But I guess if you're in a remote place you have no other option...

    ReplyDelete