Sunday, October 21, 2012

One Month


 Well, we have officially been in Whitehorse for one month. It is amazing how things have come together and how we already feel so engaged in life here. We have started regularly attending a Baptist church that is full of welcoming, passionate Believers. There is a large group of young people that seem very outgoing and community-oriented. We were invited over to a potluck Thanksgiving lunch they were having where we were introduced to many great people. It always amazes me how belief in Christ has such a uniting element and allows for a natural affinity with complete strangers. I'm so thankful for this answered prayer as finding a church and like-minded young people was high on my list of priorities to feel a sense of belonging here in the Yukon.

  I have also really enjoyed waking up on a Saturday morning with the whole day ahead of me, without the pressure of curriculum planning and marking. It is glorious. For the past three years I have taught different subjects each year and so much of my weekends were spent at the school prepping for the week ahead and working on improving my program and keeping up with all the tasks of marking and organizing. I've been getting a decent amount of supply teaching during the week here in Whitehorse and it does come with its challenges (my classroom management skills are really being tried and tested), however, the beauty of a work-free weekend is so rewarding.
 
  Last week I worked four days from Kindergarten to highschool. Next week I already have Mon-Wed booked and I heard there is a volleyball tournament on Thursday and Friday in Dawson City so there is a good chance I will get called in those days as well. It is great to have work and it is even better that I get to work in my desired field. I didn't know if that was going to work out. I thought there was a good chance I'd be pouring coffees for a living and I had a pretty positive perspective about it, however, being able to interact with kids and even have a small influence on the one day I am with them gives me a sense of purpose and fulfillment. I'm glad I can use my experience and gifts here in my daily work, and yet, still have the gift of a weekend to enjoy participating in hobbies and events.

  Maybe out of fear of lonliness or to fill the void of my schedule-free first weeks here in the Yukon, I have signed up for a number of clubs and events. It got a little crazy. I'm playing hockey twice a week, I joined a monthly book club, a Bible study, a pick-up vball league, and I might participate in drop-in pottery studio time on the weekend (only $5/day!). I was seriously considering joining the Yukon Ski Patrol (nordic), but realized that I may have overcommitted myself already. Maybe next year. It feels good to be busy and have lots to get involved in here, but it also feels good to enjoy down time. I think in past years of travelling, I've been so busy with teaching committments, that as soon as I had a moment to spare, I'd panic and fall prey to full-borne homesickness. That hasn't happened here yet. Generally, I've felt a sense of peace and contentedness that I'm so grateful for and I know that the source of that calm confidence can only be the Holy Spirit filling me with what I need to handle each day, each week, each moment at a time. So as much as I'm thankful to have the time to enjoy and be engaged in so many activities on my own and with Marcel, I'm also very grateful that our down-time has also been full of joy and contentment.

 One final word. Today also marks the first day of the four dark, cold months. I was enlightened by one of my colleagues at a school one day that October 21- February 21 are the dark, cold months. Today is officially 2 months before the shortest day and February 21st is two months after the shortest day of the year, December 21st. We already experience driving to work in what feels like the middle of the night. The sun rises at 8:58 currently and goes down at 6:29. This will be adjusted in two weeks after the time change, but we will still cherish the daylight hours and start taking our vitamin D supplements :)  It is currently -9 degrees outside with a fine dusting of snow on the ground. Meanwhile, in Toronto is it + 16 degrees and the fall colours are at their finest display (after a facetime with Mama S). I'm eager for the snow to start to pile up so at least we can enjoy some winter sports in this chilly weather. I've heard that the ski season might not actually start until near Christmas though. I've been tempted to start baking gingerbread cookies because with the smell of wood stoves and crunch of snow underfoot, it just seems like Christmas should be around the corner! The countdown begins- two months until our flight home for Christmas break! YAY!

  Off to pucks n' sticks-- some shinny with my husband at the Canada Games Center!

*Amy

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:6-7)


Mar practicing his shots at the Canada Games Center

Trying to get some tips and extra skating practice in

Tired after a good skate.

 

4 comments:

  1. Awww such a nice pic of the two of you here after your skating. I love that you are getting involved Amy, that is smart to battle the homesickness bug, but even happier to hear your down time is full of joy and actual relaxing and getting to do your hobbies. I have come to realize that it is super important to have your own hobbies/interests to feel like you are using your skills and to be content with who you are and where you are at. Good stuff! I love your honest outlook on life up there too! Hey, awesome on finding a church home....that is great and it IS amazing how unifying being a Christian can be just for meeting new people. So glad you got to have Thanksgiving with some new friends, that is nice. So I should get to bed but just wanted to say I am loving reading your blogs, keep them coming and you guys are an inspiration as a couple, seriously. Much love and blessings, Jess :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the encouragement Jess! I hope you are finding time for some hobbies too even with your busy boys! I'm glad to hear you are settling in to your home more and more too and "making" it more of a home through personal touches and familiarity with the area! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy, You are busy spiritually, mentally and physically. It must be keeping you joyful--it certainly sounds that way from reading your ongoing blogs. How nice for everyone who loves you to know what and how you are doing. Blogs are great---so is our Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia! I hope you're having a great time in Florida! Nice that we can keep up with our families this way!

      Delete