Monday, November 19, 2012

Suzie Home-maker in the Cold

  Current Forecast

  It is currently -21 degrees outside. This means if your hair is wet it will turn white outside and your nostrils will become crispy as you breathe. We also noticed our neighbours plugging in their vehicles and so Marcel went out and did likewise. It is true that it is a dry cold, which I think means that if you are dressed properly you should be fine; whereas in a wet cold environment it doesn't matter what you are wearing because the cold still seems to creep inside your bones no matter how many layers you have on.
  The sun came up at 9:19 am this morning and it set at 4:18. At 6:30 it already felt like it was time to get ready for bed and now at 8 pm I feel like I'm really pushing it... like it has been a late night and I should settle in soon. Strange how the lack of sunlight affects you. Marcel and I went for a walk so that at least we would get some fresh air and sunshine today, but we were happy to sit cozily (not a word- I know!) in our apartment all afternoon and evening.
  On these cold Sundays I enjoy being at home and learning to be a Suzie-Home-Maker. Since moving here, I've learned to make guacamole, salsa, cupcakes and frosting from scratch (thank evwier! They were/are delish!), and whole wheat bread. Michelle J. posted a No-Fail Whole Wheat Bread recipe that Marcel and I have come to love. I've missed my $5 breadmaker that died in PEI (R.I.P.), but this receipe has been a lifesaver. I've found that the bread in Whitehorse is not only expensive, but goes bad quickly. With this receipe I've been able to make two loaves, one to eat and one to freeze for later in the week. There is nothing like the smell of warm bread, fresh from the oven. The first loaf I made was devoured with butter within 24 hours. I just have to share the recipe! Thanks again, Michelle!

No-Fail Whole Wheat Bread
To make two loaves, mix 3.5 cups warm water, 1.5 tsp. yeast, and 1/4 c. honey in your mixer bowl and let the yeast proof. Next mix up and add half of your 7 cups of whole wheat flour (3.5 cups), 2 tsp salt and 2 heaping tablespoons lecithin granules or olive oil (I use olive oil because I have a bunch, but I think the lecithin makes it even spongier). Mix it all up and let it sit for one minute. You can just use a wooden spoon here.
Now add the second half of the flour (another 3.5 cups). I do this part in the Kitchenaid. Mix it on high for 7 min. Then let sit for 15 minutes. Dump the dough onto a floured surface and divide in it half (I use one of those big pastry scrapers). It will be quite sticky and stretchy (see the first photo), so work quickly and with plenty of flour. Shape it loosely into loaves, put it in two pans and let it rise until it's sticking over the top of the pan. I line my pans with parchment paper and reuse it over and over. Bake the bread at 350 for 35min.



  Below is our forecast for the next week! Ow! A lot of Yukoners say November is their least favourite month... I'm not totally sure why as I've embraced the snow and the fact that the ski season has arrived. It could be because of the creeping darkness though which is disheartening. I think I'll be wearing either my long johns or snow pants on my walk to school tomorrow morning though.

Long Term Forecast Updated:Sunday, November 18, 2012, 18:01PST

MondayNovember 19TuesdayNovember 20WednesdayNovember 21ThursdayNovember 22FridayNovember 23SaturdayNovember 24
Conditions
6am - 6pm
Scattered flurriesCloudy with sunny breaksMainly cloudyCloudy with sunny breaksCloudy with sunny breaksCloudy
Scattered flurriesCloudy with sunny breaksMainly cloudyCloudy with sunny breaksCloudy with sunny breaksCloudy
P.O.P.40%30%30%30%30%30%
High-18°C-19°C-19°C-18°C-16°C-13°C
Feels Like-24-23-24-23-23-22
Low-21°C-21°C-22°C-21°C-22°C-18°C
WindN 5km/hNE 5km/hNE 5km/hN 5km/hN 5km/hNW 10km/
24-Hr
Snow

 
1-3 cm----

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I might just try baking bread the old fashioned way. Stay warm up there!

    ReplyDelete